It is election year in the United States of America, and the Republican nominee Donald Trump (who was originally considered a longshot when he entered the Republican primaries) has done the unthinkable. He has managed to win the primary and now appears to be deliberately trying to lose the presidential election to Hillary Clinton.
He has done so by voicing out loud what Republicans have been saying for decades behind closed doors, but never willing to admit publicly. That is, espousing the kind of racist and sexist bigotry that the Republicans have become known for, but they usually tried to do it in a secretive manner so that they weren't blatantly racist or sexist.
But Trump doesn't do implied vagueness. He just says crazy things that are sometimes vague in their meaning.
Take for example earlier this week when Donald Trump suggested that the NRA should assassinate Hillary Clinton and/or members of the Supreme Court. When asked about his outrageous statements, he doubled down on them and continued to enforce that idea. Only days later when he realized it was hurting him in the polls did he claim that he was being sarcastic. Except he wasn't being sarcastic. Or facetious. He meant what he said when he said it.
Also earlier this week Donald Trump espoused the wild claim that Barack Obama founded ISIS. The next day he would then say that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are the MVP (Most Valuable Players) for ISIS. Again, he doubled down on these statements and days later claimed he had been joking.
That kind of nonsensical gaffes is nothing new to the Trump campaign however. Trump does this sort of crazy stuff on an almost daily basis. There isn't a week that goes by that Donald Trump doesn't say at least one or two crazy things.
But here is the weird thing. Donald Trump, prior to joining the Republican Party, was a life long Democrat.
He voted for the Democratic Party in 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004.
This means he also voted for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996. Socially, he is friends with the Clinton family. He hangs out with them quite a bit.
Prior to seeking the Republican nomination, Donald Trump even phoned Bill Clinton seeking his advice. The details of their conversation are unknown, but it is widely reported the conversation took place and concerned Trump's possible run for the Republican nomination.
As such it is starting to feel more and more like the 2016 election is going to be rigged. Even Donald Trump said it.
"And I'm telling you, November 8, we'd better be careful, because that election is going to be rigged." - Donald Trump.
He has since repeated that statement in various ways many times - feeding into Republican conspiracy theorists who eat up his words like it is bacon at Denny's.
And we agree, the 2016 election probably will be rigged. But it will be rigged in the sense that Donald Trump is deliberately losing. Let us go down the checklist of WHY Donald Trump is deliberately losing.
#1. Donald Trump has deliberately alienated the latino vote, which represents approx. 10% of American voters, by calling them rapists and murderers.
#2. Donald Trump has deliberately alienated the black vote, by making statements about Black Lives Matter in support of empowering police to shoot more black people. That represents 13% of American voters.
#3. Trump's statements about women has frequently alienated women voters, representing 51% of all American voters.
#4. Trump's remarks about veterans and the family's of veterans has hurt him significantly from members of the military and their families. His comments about want wanting to use nuclear weapons also shows a lack of knowledge about military matters and is worrying members of the military and intelligence communities. Continuing to attack veterans and the families of veterans could lose Trump millions of votes.
#5. Trump is also losing big time in polls of college educated white voters. He scores points with uneducated white people, especially men, but is losing big with white women and white people with a college education. His core supporters are uneducated white males.
#6. Trump keeps ignoring his opponent, Hillary Clinton. He rarely attacks her. When he makes the news it is usually because of something stupid or racist that he said about someone entirely unrelated.
#7. Donald Trump is losing educated Republican voters. Even his own party members won't endorse him. Many of them are avoiding him and have gone so far as to distance themselves monetarily because they have their own elections to worry about, and they want to keep the presidential election at arm's bay so voters don't associate the candidates with Trump.
#8. Trump's campaign finances are in fiscal disarray. He managed to win the primary nomination by saying crazy things that drew him attention, and that tactic allowed him to campaign by spending almost no money. Indeed, Trump actually MADE money by taking in donations, and then using those donations for renting his own real estate properties for his events. He has also refused to release his income tax returns so that Americans don't know how much money he has been secretly socking away from donations revenue. That lack of fiscal honesty makes him look bad and will cost him votes.
#9. The lower Trump sinks in the polls, the crazier things he says. Normally when a politician is down in the polls they are more careful about what they say. Trump's philosophy is the opposite, the lower he goes in the polls the more crazy things he says - in what appears to be a deliberate attempt to make his poll results sink even lower.
#10. Trump isn't even bothering to campaign in "battleground states". Instead he keeps visiting states like Maine (which he has recently visited 3 times), where Hillary is polling at 89% of voters. He is completely wasting his time in Maine, as that state hasn't voted for a Republican since 1988. Also Maine only has 4 electoral votes. It is worth peanuts. So why waste three campaigning trips to Maine, a state worth almost nothing, and is guaranteed to vote for Hillary?! It would make more sense for him to use those 3 trips to visit battleground states like Arizona, Georgia and South Carolina - states in which Hillary is currently barely beating Trump in the polls.
Fivethirtyeight.com is currently predicting Hillary has a 87.8% chance of winning and Donald Trump a mere 12.2% chance.
Williamhill.com is currently giving betting odds for Trump of 11 to 4, and Hillary's odds are 2 to 7. Anyone who has ever bet on a horserace knows that 11 to 4 is horrible odds and 2 to 7 is amazing.
Betfair.com, which has successfully predicted the winner of every American election since they first started allowing people to bet on elections, is predicting Hillary has a 78% chance of winning and Donald Trump a mere 20% - and that was their prediction BEFORE Trump made the idiotic comments claiming that Obama founded ISIS and suggesting that the NRA shoot Hillary and/or Supreme Court Judges. Within a few weeks they will likely update their odds, predicting an even bigger landslide for Hillary.
Even the Republican Party is betting against Trump.
Internal Republican polling has shown that Trump is going to lose. So instead Republicans have pulled all of their finances away from Donald Trump and are focusing their efforts on the House of Representatives and the Senate. However even that might be useless, as Trump may end up depressing Republican voter turnout. If Republicans realize Trump won't win and is guaranteed to lose, many of them won't even bother to turn up to vote. What would result instead could be a landslide victory for Hillary, as Clinton's voters will be motivated to show up and vote in an effort to "Stop Trump".
Thus if there is any conspiracy to rig the 2016 election, it is Donald Trump who has conspired to deliberately lose it.
And our sympathies go out to Republican voters who are upset with what they are seeing happen to their party. In which case we have a recommendation for Republicans: Don't vote for him. Vote for the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson instead. You might not like his social stance, but his economic stance is right up the alley for mainstream Republicans. So if you are going to lose, you might as well lose by voting for Johnson instead.